(These tips brought to you by D.C. Central Kitchen’s Healthy Corner Stores)
DID YOU KNOW: Sweet potatoes may improve your body’s ability to regulate your blood sugar! Eat up this holiday season (maybe just limit the marshmallow topping)!
HOW DO I EAT IT?
- Roast them in the oven
- Boil then mash them for sweet potato mash
- Add them to chili for a nice, hearty meal
- Use them as a base for pie or dessert
TIP: Eat the skin to add more fiber and vitamins to your diet.
WHY SHOULD I EAT IT?
- Sweet potatoes are high in Vitamin C & A, which are good for your eyes
- They are also high in fiber, which promotes good gut health
- Sweet potatoes are packed with cancer-fighting antioxidants
THANKSGIVING LEFTOVER IDEA: Make potato pancakes! Form mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes into pancakes. You can add corn to them if you have that leftover, too. Cook on a skillet like pancakes and serve with light or no sugar added syrup.
RECIPE OF THE MONTH:
Don’t forget to visit one of the 62 participating corner stores to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and healthy snacks. Need a list of participating corner stores? Click here.