Try out this savory recipe from the American Diabetes Association that is perfect for your busy mornings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
- 4 ounces extra lean, low-sodium ham slices, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute or 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat, sharp cheddar cheese
- Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray, add ham, and cook until beginning to lightly brown, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside on separate plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray, add onions, and cook 4 minutes or until beginning to turn golden, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, add ham to the onions, and cook 1 minute (this allows the flavors to blend and the skillet to cool slightly before the eggs are added). Pour egg substitute evenly over all, cover and cook 8 minutes or until puffy and set.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, sprinkle cheese evenly over all, cover and let stand 3 minutes to melt the cheese and develop flavors.
Chef Tip: If Vidalia onions are not available, use any other sweet variety, such as Texas Sweet.