Serves 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | 175 Calories | 161 mg Sodium
Oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and brown sugar is a delicious topping for this baked apple dessert. Thank you to USDA SNAP-Ed for this delicious recipe.
- 4 apples (medium, baking)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, quick cooking (uncooked)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- non-stick cooking spray
- Move the oven rack to the center of the oven. Then preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9″ square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and peel the apples. Cut them into thin slices.
- Spread the apple slices evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix the oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the oatmeal mix evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Lightly pour the apple juice over the oatmeal mixture.
- Cover the dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until apples are just starting to soften.
- Uncover and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until apples are soft.
Tip: This is a great way to use up apples that are on their way out but not yet spoiled.