This is not only good for you, but good in you—making it a healthy comfort food.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- 1 egg, whole
- ¼ cup margarine, regular, tub
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes in an 8 x 8-inch, greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.
Yield: 10 servings Serving size: 1 square Calories: 178 Total Fat: 6 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 22 mg Sodium: 94 mg Total Fiber: 1 g Protein: 4 g Carbohydrates: 27 g Potassium: 132 mg