Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Total Cost: $6.47
Serving Cost: $0.81
This Creole-inspired dish uses chili sauce and cayenne pepper to spice it up. Tomatoes, green pepper, celery, onions and garlic spices also surround the chicken with delicious color. This main dish can be cooked on the stovetop or with an electric skillet.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breast (whole, skinless, boneless)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 oz., with juice)
- 1 cup chili sauce (low sodium)
- 1 green pepper (chopped, large)
- 2 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped, small)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (3-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Nutrition Information for 1 cup: Calories: 130 Total Fat: 3 g Saturated Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: N/A Sodium: 230 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 19 g Dietary Fiber: 2 g Total Sugars: 7 g Protein: 9 g